Followers

07 February 2011

I've Been Naughty

Yes, I have been. Remember back when I said I'd like to concentrate on some WiPs? All that is out the window now. I started not just one but two new projects! First one is a SAL you might have seen popping up on many blogs.
Romantique Sampler designed by Angie Designer. Here's my progress so far.
I'm using HDF Examplar FleckStone in place of DMC 3046 listed by the designer. I absolutely love the subtle color variations.
I finished Part 1 before the Chinese New Year holidays.
The lacey effect from the backstitches are awesome.
Part 2 is still in progress mainly because I misordered my silks. I had to reorder and am waiting for them to arrive.
Instead of the mauve recommended by the designer, I'm gonna stitch it in shades of HDF Velvet Midnight. Once again, if you have yet to stitch with HDF silk, I highly recommend it.
One other thing I'd like to bring to your attention, every single time I ordered from Vikki, she always includes extras in my order. This time was no different. She took into consideration that the silk I had ordered might have been too similar in shades from what I wanted so she included two extra micros of a darker shade in my order AT NO EXTRA COST! In case you didn't know, that's 300 yards of free single stranded silk! On top of that, she switched my order from minis to micros.
I had ordered four different shades of Velvet Midnight. Five minis of each color. Let's do the math...
5 minis = 261 yards (52.2 yards each)
2 micros = 300 yards (150 yards each)
That's about 40 yards extra silk for each color. If that's not great customer service, I don't know what is.
Moving on, I have wonderful news. My best friend, Adeline, is pregnant and I've been told that 90% it's a boy! It's her first child and this is something she's been waiting for a long time. Now what's a stitcher to do but start stitching a birth sampler for her son? ^.^
Many birth samplers I've seen out there are too girlish or babyish. I know, I know, it is after all meant for a baby but I wanted something that could last. Yet, I didn't want something too grown up. So I searched and searched and searched and had nearly given up when I came across this Stoney Creek design.
New Birth of Spring by Stoney Creek
Technically, it's not a birth sampler but I think it's perfect, especially since he will be born in the rabbit year. I plan to change the words to "A Beautiful Miracle". This is my progress so far:
The similar colors and color changes are driving me crazy but I will persevere. LOL! Let's hope I can finish it around June for the boy will be a June baby.
One last thing, have you seen Martina of Chatelaine's newest design?
I think I'm in trouble! I've never owned or stitched a Chatelaine before even though Alpine Garden is on my wish list mainly because even though I find them lovely, I can't see myself stitching four identical corners over and over again. I know some designs have different corners but they just don't capture me as much. Now this... This Chinese Garden Mandala completely blows me away. Maybe I'm bias since I'm Chinese but I think most would agree with me that it's gorgeous. Definitely gonna sign up for the Chinese Garden Mandala Yahoo Group soon.
Wish me luck that I'll be able to handle all the specialty stitches this design is sure to contain.
In the meantime, happy stitching and if you celebrate Chinese New Year, Gong Xi Fa Chai!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rofl Babe, you need to focus a little lol. I blame myself... been keeping you for myself so much =). Well They look amazing =). I hope you have fun with them my lovely.

Margaret wong said...

Love the Romantique Sampler and the Chinese Garden Mandala is amazing!!! Gorgeous!! I'll be following your stitching for these 2 pieces.

Carol said...

Oh, Veronica, your new Romantique Sampler is going to be amazing! Love the colors you've chosen and it's nice to read about your positive experiences with HDF silks.

I'm sure your friend will love the birth sampler that you're creating for her little soon-to-be new baby. How exciting for her (and you!)...

Hazel said...

Beautiful sampler and lovely birth one too. Wow that chateliene is amazing! I have never done one either but yes this is fantastic. Enjoy! x

Jules said...

You have some great things going on here! That last one, the Chatelaine, looks fantastic! I look forward to watching your progress on it!!!

Carolyn NC said...

So many charts to stitch, so little time - what's a stitcher to do? Acquire them and hope for the best!! Nice progress!

Sue said...

I love Romantic Sampler and have never seen it before, this will be fun to watch you work on. I love working with any silks. I met Vikki Clayton a couple of years ago at a needlework show and was so much fun to talk with and it doesn't surprise me she includes extra things in an order.

I am currently working on a Chatelaine and it is my nemesis. I spent a fortune (and I mean a fortune) on the linen, threads and beads needed for the piece and doing the same thing in 4 corners gets tiring and boring. But I know some people who just love doing Chatelaine's so I hope I haven't discouraged you.

Meari said...

Both your samplers are coming along great. :)

Virpi said...

But we won't count these new ones won't we =)

Pumpkin said...

Ohhhh, I love this SAL and the colours you picked are so rich and soft. I see that it's closed though :o( Drat!

Your SC will be lovely. That's an adorable design :o)

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

I love both of your WIP's Veronica...especially the Stoney Creek one...I love this pattern. I love Stoney Creek Patterns anyways.

Lillie said...

Gorgeous pieces and progress is looking good.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Wow, amazing! I can't get over the work involved. Just beautiful.

Kathy Ellen said...

I love your stitching progress on "Ramantique Sampler", which is going to be beautiful when finished. I love the Hand-Dyed Fibers silks too. They are wonderful to stitch with...don't shred, so smooth, and luscious colours! I think your choice for the baby sampler will be wonderful.

Measi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for the promotion of the giveaway! :)

Your stitching is gorgeous - I love how the silk is creating the colored effect... it appears antiqued.

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

I love your WIP's. especially the Stoney Creek one...Your Sampler is so pretty and I love the progress on this....you are doing a beautiful job on this.

You will survive the Stoney Creek WIP....I get the Stoney Creek Magazine.

I love your Blog too....it is so pretty...

Take care & Happy Stitching
Hugs :) Linda K, Railroad

kiwiflowa said...

I've just come across your blog and read a few pages (I'm just getting back into stitching and the online stitching community). You do some exquisite stitching :) - Lisa